Under 19 Hurlers Continue their Success in Championship Match

December 7, 2022

Under 19 Hurling Championship Match Against St. Aidans

It was a cold and damp day out on the Ardscoil Rís Gerry O’Brien Pitch with occasional spurts of sun and showers. The game started with the referee Danny Harrington throwing the ball in to get us underway.
Instantly Ardscoil went on the attack with Conor Dolan running at the heart of the Aidans defence, to then give a simple but effective handpass to Ryan Murphy who got the opening score of the game.
Ardscoil continued to show great fight and determination in the opening minutes and it wasn’t long till Ardscoil got the opening goal from John Stephens and soon followed by another goal by Harry Curley.
It looked like it was going to be a long day for the traveling Aidans group, and this showed again when Ben Gaughran picked up the ball in the middle third and gave a well judged handpass to Stephen Williams to stick it over from 45 yards out on the run.
St.Aidans finally got a score on the board after 7 minutes of play from a well worked puck out straight down the middle of the Ardscoil defence.
Scores from Joe Kavanagh, John Stephens, Harry Curley in the 12th-15th minute further separated the scoreline
With the game developing in Ardscoil’s favour it became obvious that Aidans were struggling, with Ardscoil’s Ryan Murphy and Thomas Gray slotting over well deserved points from winning the oppositions puck outs and Joe Kavanagh putting over a 65 and also a point from play.
After a few dull minutes in the game Ben Gaughran showed some great fight to win back possession to kickstart a Rís attack giving the ball to Ryan Murphy to score a well worked point.
Two minutes later after great play from Conor Dolan in the defensive half he comes out with the ball, he scuffs a shot but the ball lands in the square with Ryan Murphy getting to the ball and slotting a well placed goal into the back of the net.
Joe Kavanagh slots over a free and instantly wins the ball from the puck out to pass off to John Stephens to put another over for the men in blue.
Aidans fight back getting an easy score but instantly Ardscoil go up the pitch from the puck out to get a point from Ryan Murphy
Ryan Murphy once again gets a lovely score from a tight angle after a fake shot to deceive his marker, which was the last score of the half

Half Time:
Ardscoil 3-14 to St. Aidans 0-6

The second half started off slow but after 5 minutes of play Stephen Williams gave a long ball inside to Cillian Cummins to turn his man and get the first score of the second half.
After a bit of rough play Stephen William slots the ball over the bar from a tight angle after hitting the crossbar with the same shot, he also wins the next puck out and without a doubt in his mind he slots it over.
After winning the ball in his own half John Cleary came out with the ball and delivered it into the corner and after a couple of neat passes it’s over the bar by John Stephens.
Ben Gaughran adds another point to the tally while Ryan Murphy scores three from play and Stephen WIlliams contributing as well.
Ben Gaughrans score is quickly followed by an Aidans attack that is smoothered out by the strong Ardscoil defence of John Cleary and Conor Dolan who delivers the ball into the corner for John Stephens but passes it off to a lovely run by Ryan Murphy who slots it over once again.
With Aidans not scoring yet after 15 minutes into the second half, Stephen Williams tries some trickery for the puck out and gives it once again into the corner where John Stephens awaits to put it over the bar.
Aidans finally get their first score of the second half after 20 minutes but from all of the events that happened before it looked clear Ardscoil had secured the win.
Thomas Gray gets a ball off Ben Gaughran and proceeds to hit a long range effort on goal that went in with the aid of a touch of Joe Kavanaghs hurl
In the 25th minute of the second half Thomas Gray got a lovely score and was soon followed by another goal by Joe Kavanagh that was finished into the side netting.
Harry Page scores the final score from a very tight angle to seal the win for Ardscoil Ris.

Final Score:

Ardscoil Ris: 5-28 to St. Aidans: 0-8

Reported by Eoghan Cullen (Injured 6th year) and Finn Daly (4th Year)